Internet Relay Chat (IRC)
IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat. It allows to communicate over networks of servers. People connect to the network as 'clients' using a program on their PC. People who own servers can run IRC serverprograms and setup networks where any person can connect to.
IRC networks used by TR players
By the TR's player community, two IRC networks are traditionally used
- since 1997: GalaxyNet IRC service
- since 2008: The Reincarnation is setting up it's own IRC service.
- Server: www.the-reincarnation.com, Port: 6697
- Main channel for TR players: #reincarnation
Some very basic things to know about IRC
- names of connected people are known as nicks
- you usually register your nick once you join a chat server the first time
- you usually identify your self using a password every day you connect to the chat server
- chatrooms / chatboxes etc. are called channels on IRC, and have a # in front of their #name.
- channel moderators are called ops' or opers, and have an @ in front of their nick, or a ~ or a &. Nicks with a + infront of them have voice meaning you cannot set your software to ignore what they say in a #channel. All these prefixes are set on a #channel by #channel basis.
- some connected nicks are not people but bots, i.e. computer programs. You can give them commands, such as invite me to #mysecretchannel
- some people like programming their own bots, with varying success. Example: This clip on YouTube
- if you type in text and press enter... you have chatted
- if you start a chatline with a /, you are giving a command to the IRC server.
- if the command makes sense and you have the right access levels, it works.
- otherwise the IRC server will echo back that it did not understand you and points you to help
- On start up, the regular IRC user lets the program perform a series of commands automatically, such as identify me and join my favorite channels.
Installing and setting up IRC chatsoftware
- There are several options, but most players use mIRC.
- See the guides here!
- I use mIRC all the time, I just want to connect to the new server
- I used Galaxynet all the time, I need to know some commands for TR's server