Spell Level indicates a mage's skill in handling magic. Spell Level is acquired by learning new spells and is usually the primary factor in determining the strength of a mage's spells. It is advisable to research all available spells early after the creation of a mage in order to utilize higher Spell Level (and therefore stronger spells).
- The number and difficulty of your spells known determine your actual SL -- researching or purchasing spells will also increase your spell level.
- Favor or Disfavor from Magic can temporarily affect Spell Level.
- Some Spells' effects are not based on Spell Level.
- A change in spell level does not immediately affect enchantments that were already cast and still in effect.
- For example, if you cast Plant Growth with +20 spell level because of Magic's Favor, it keeps in effect as long as you maintain the upkeep, usually weeks longer than the god favor lasts.
- A trick to update already cast enchantments is to raise the skill Grand Enchanter by 1. When the additional + Spell Level from another level in Grand Enchanter activates, it updates all of your currently cast enchantments to your current Max Spell Level.
- Spell level also somewhat influences Net Power (1000 per spell level)
- With the skill Grand Enchanter, enchantments are more powerful. Level 8 Grand Enchanter is comparable to Magic's Favor bonus in strength for enchantments only (but permanent).
Standard Spell Levels
The spell levels for fully researched mages differ depending on server:
(Last updated 2012-2013, except italics which are from September 2022.)
- By acquiring ancient spells and opposite color complex spells (Black Market or Lucky Cauldron), mages can further increase their spell level.
- The max possible base Spell Level is 709 on Beta server (634 + 5 * 15 (5 ancient spells)).
- With Magic Most Favored and maximum Grand Enchanter, a beta mage with all 5 Ancient spells can cast enchantments at Spell Level 849.
- Gods cast spells at spell level 777
Spell Level Contributions
Magic Favor adds a temporary bonus to spell level.
- Magic Most Favored: +40 SL (48 hours)
- Magic Favor: +20 SL (24 hours)
- Magic Disfavor: -20 SL (24 hours)
- Magic Hatred: -40 SL (48 hours)