Accuracy is one of the factors, that determines how much damage your troops actually do in a battle: their numbers in your army and their attack power according to the Encyclopedia is only the starting point... all other effects reduce that amount to the actual amount subtracted from Health points and determining the casualties. Accuracy is one of them.
Normally units have 30% (base) accuracy.
The accuracy penalties resulting from such abilities as Fear, Swift and Beauty as well as the automatic penalty of 10% during a Siege is subject to diminishing returns. Assuming the total penalties outweigh our units bonuses such as Sun's Favor, Marksmanship, and that penalty exceeds 15%, the following numbers apply:
- On a Siege Attack, your units will suffer -10% Accuracy (30%-10% = 20%). Units with the unit abilities Flying or Siege do not suffer this penalty. Also, units with the attack type RANGED who are paired with a FLYING stack do not suffer this penalty.
- On a Regular Attack and any defensive combat, your units will suffer no accuracy penalty.
Unit Abilities can also impact unit accuracy in battle:
- Clumsiness gives units -10% Accuracy in battle (30%-10% = 20%).
- Marksmanship gives units +10% Accuracy in battle (30%+10% = 40%).
- Beauty reduces the accuracy of any unit attacking this unit by 5% (30%-5% = 25%).
- Swift reduces the accuracy of any unit attacking this unit by 10% (30%-10% = 20%).
- Fear reduces the accuracy of any unit attacking this unit, except those with Fear themselves, by 15% (30%-15% = 15%). (units with fear do not suffer this penalty)
Accuracy CAN be reduced to 0% in extreme accuracy penalty situations(60%+ accuracy reduction).
- The spell Flame Blade increases accuracy of units with a Melee attack (varies by Spell Level).
- The spell Blinding Flash decreases accuracy of all enemy units that fail to resist it (varies by Spell Level).
- The spell Fog Cloud decreases the accuracy of all friendly and enemy units that fail to resist it (varies by Spell Level).
- The item Satchel of Mist decreases accuracy of all units by 10%.
See Accuracy Modifiers.