History of Terra | Guild Gallery | History of Guild Wars | Player Gallery
Mirror copy of archmage page on wikipedia
The Innocence 1997-1999
- First servers (www.archmage.com)
- Growth of servers
- Introduction of banners and clicking ads to get 'Luck' in the game
- 'Game of the Month', a big hit.
- Many players communicating using ICQ.
The Glory 1999-2001
- Moving of game URL to www.magewar.com (still viewable in web.archive.org), portal update.
- Growth of multimaging, admins handing magical compasses to those reporting cheating
- Threat of lawsuits for violating copyrights. Change of mage speciality names and some unit names.
- Introduction of a beta server
- Growth of custom archmage interfaces
- Growth of scripting, movement-tracking and spellbots - Archmage servers too open: security issues.
- Many players communicate on IRC.
- People can communticate while doing skills such as herding
The Fall 2001-2003
- Growth of bug-exploits, e.g. negative power bug, unlimitted devils bug, find armacaster, unlimitted wishing bug etc. etc. etc.
- Announcement of MARI focusing on ArchSpace
- Introduction of beta units on all servers
- Different language servers
- Announcements of MARI trying to make some servers Pay-2-Play
- Announcement of MARI focusing on a graphic online roleplaying game.
- MARI going bankrupt and game going web dead.
- MARI portal and forums going web dead.
- Dawn of ProjectX (what became The Reincarnation) and some other Archmage inspired webgames.